earthworks

Subject: earthworks
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:07:41 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has used earthworks mics in the field?  I'm
particularly thinking of using a matched pair of their omnis (tc40k or
qtc1) for stereo soundscapes or (perhaps) documentary recording of live
performance at my place.

All this talk about mic pres has gotten me wondering what, say, a pair of
qtc1's into a grace v3 into a portadisc/dat might get me beyond my current
other-end-of-the-scale rig (consumer MD & sonic studios DSM binaural-esque
omnis)... I do wonder about how robust they would be in more, shall we
say, challenging environments (e.g., on a smokey diesel ferry in
Bangladesh).

My application would almost always be stereo soundscape, not parabolic or
shotgun style isolation of particular elements [at a distance]... one
thing that attracted me to the earthworks though is their use for close
miking applications...

Best regards,

 aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org