Earthworks

Subject: Earthworks
From: "Roger C Boughton" <>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 06:13:31 +0100
Walter K wrote:-

My info was that these mics date from the 60's, making them even older.

I've heard that their noise floor was not a smooth hiss, but more
ragged. Any info on this?

Yes they were made in the 60s right up to the  80s, i bought my first one 2nd
hand sometime in the mid 70s and my last one in the early 80s. I was using T
powered mics then, these were great for long leads, still are for that matter.
Don't ask me the tech. stuff but someone out there will explain.

I read about the "ragged" noise floor on this web page, was it Lang or Dan ?

All I can say is that they did'nt sound at all ragged to me and still don't
when I borrow them sometimes.  They are very good mics. very robust in adverse
conditions and still expensive.  If you have the dosh and you enjoy getting
that open rig in a good position you would not go wrong with a 4006 or even
better a pair of 4006s.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Roger C Boughton