Re: Earthworks

Subject: Re: Earthworks
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:40:39 -0500
Roger Boughton wrote

>Rob Danielson asked
>
>Hi Richard--
>Interesting test. Which earthworks models did you test? Some are
>spec'd at 10dB, but the models Aaron cited are much higher I think.
>Also, did you find your 105's as quiet as the 20's? How did the 4006
>compare?
>
>I presume you mean Roger?
>
>They werethe qtc 1, I think. The 105s are not as quiet as the 20s,
>but they are now 25 years oldish, and they are not that different. I
>still use them, I like their sound better than the 20s.
>
>The 4006 have a very nice sound as well, but I found their
>sensitivity lacking compared with the rest of the mics tested. A
>friend uses a pair for wildlife recording and his results using his
>spaced omni rig are stunning.  He works , as we all should do, at
>getting the mics in good position and bingo the result is terrific.
>
>The mics that came out top with everybody on the blind listening
>tests were the Scheops.
>
>I hope this helps.
>
>Regards
>
>Roger C Boughton

Thanks Roger-- sorry.

And spaced omnis can be great for capturing reflections-- helping
sounds stand out from a space in a more revealing way.

Most of the Schoeps seem to have around  14-16 dB inherent noise and
lower sensitivity than the mkh 20-- they should produce quite an
increase in noise and transparency.   Perhaps it's something in their
response, like better hi end ? Good to know you enjoy your 105's.
Best--
Rob D.