Re: Recording narration on only one track

Subject: Re: Recording narration on only one track
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 22:30:22 -0400
Dan Dugan wrote:
> One thing to think about with CD is that the indexing system is
> universal and dead-accurate. You can have beaucoup tracks wherever
> you need them. The listener can always look at the readout and see
> what track you're on. Cassette was nothing like this. I think the
> indexing of a CD eliminates the need for narration. Lately I've been
> making up my CD's as suites of continuous sound, with track points
> (no gaps) wherever identification would be useful.

That's the sort of thing I'm having to educate the folks I'm dealing
with. They get off worrying about finding a track on the tape. You can
even give the exact second in a track that something occurs.

The narration they are planning will be more than a simple name, which
does seem kind of pointless. They are planning range in the state,
season of call, typical breeding site, verbal call description at the
moment. The narrator, being a biologist familiar with frogs will
probably be given a lot of leeway how to actually say it. There is a
points list being circulated for comment now for him.

I've been proposing thinking about pretty tight transition's between the
chorus tracks. I'm not sure a crossfade would be a good idea, but keep
the gap minimum with maybe a short fade out and in. The various chorus
tracks will often be quite different. Just dumping from one to another
would be a jolt sometimes. They are to have no narration at all. Part of
our brief is that they can be listened to just for enjoyment.

On the stuff I turned in for documentation I finally standardized to a 1
sec fade at each end with 2 sec between. Those can vary in loudness more
than this will as they are the raw recording.

I've used ID disks that had no narration, it assumes you have the key. I
sometimes may be listening to them on the car stereo, where referring to
a key would be awkward. I think I prefer the ID clips continue to have
narration.