Re: Earthworks

Subject: Re: Earthworks
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 03:32:28 -0400
Roger C Boughton wrote:
> Walter K wrote:-
>
> My info was that these mics date from the 60's, making them even older.
>
> I've heard that their noise floor was not a smooth hiss, but more
> ragged. Any info on this?
>
> Yes they were made in the 60s right up to the  80s, i bought my first one 2nd
> hand sometime in the mid 70s and my last one in the early 80s. I was using T
> powered mics then, these were great for long leads, still are for that
> matter.  Don't ask me the tech. stuff but someone out there will explain.

Have you had any trouble when pairing them for stereo? Like the
oscillation I'm getting out of the 110's? They run beautifully single,
but pair them for stereo and you get oscillation all up and down the
audio. I've done a awful lot of arcane experiments trying to put in
effective shielding without curing it.

> I read about the "ragged" noise floor on this web page, was it Lang or Dan ?

Lang reported it in connection with his choice to go with MKH-20's with
the SASS.