Re: mic pre with headphone out

Subject: Re: mic pre with headphone out
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 12:35:28 -0400
Rob Danielson wrote:

> Hello Walter--
> See Inserts
> Rob D.
>
> >Rob Danielson wrote:
> >
> >>  Hello!
> >>  I use an MP-2 only almost daily with phantom power mics, the noise is
> >>  very, very low.  Sounddevices.com is a small company here in
> >>  Wisconsin. I'm sure they'd be happy to explain their specs and
> >>  discuss design and performance needs. Very nice folks.
> >>  Rob D.
>
> Walter replied:
>
> >The usual quick and dirty test is to monitor it's output at full gain
> >while switching the phantom power on and off.
>
> Tested this. I can detect no increase in system noise or introduced
> hum when the phantom power is switched on and off.

Sounds good. Was this running with your battery pac or the internals?

> Walter replied:
> >  Not foolproof, but a good
> >indicator, better if a way can be figured to apply full load to the powe=
r.

> >Have you used it with rechargables? They seem to be giving 6 hours with
> >alkalines and that without phantom power.
>
> 2 hours with two AA alkalines w/phantom power on is typical.  I made
> a 5X1.2 D size battery sled with the Energizer Nickle Metal Hydride
> rechargables (D size 2200 mAh) which powers my Sony D7 DAT and the
> MP-2/mics for ~6 hours. The MP-2 accepts a wide range of DC voltages
> and the power plug locks on with threads.

Ouch on the internal Alkalines, but about what I expected. Question is
would it run at all with two internal 1800 mAh AA's? Short times are
less painful if it's rechargables.

I noticed last night that Sound Devices makes a holder for the NP series
video camera battery pacs. I use these pacs with my digital camera, so
that may be attractive. Those are 7.2 volts and something like 1500mAh
for the current ones. I've only got a old one here right now, and it's
marked 1200mAh. They are also Li-ion technology. They are common enough
that they are a fairly standard item at Radio Shack. They would be far
less bulky than your D pac.

> >Walter replied:
> >I've managed without a pre so far, but since I've now got the MKH
> >shotgun mics, I'll probably want one sooner or later. And the M/S
> >decoder is attractive so that I could monitor in stereo. It's one I've
> >been eyeing.
>
> I found that a good pre made a huge difference.  I used mine with
> quite a few mics including  MKH-20's/30's and they seemed like a good
> match. The Sonic Devices MP-2's sound and features may be hard to
> beat for less than $1400.  Steven Feld and others love their Aerco
> MP-2 made by Jerry Chamkis (especially with AKG460's) but I don't
> think Jerry makes them anymore    Jerry says the
> input transformers are the key components and those prices have gone
> way up.  I think both MP-2's may use the same Swiss
> transformers,..barnd name starts with and "L," Klas?

Lundahl transformers is what you are trying to remember. Yes, the MP-2
uses them anyway.

Up until this year I primarily have used the Telinga and was making
scientific recordings. I'm now heading more into "listening" recordings
and have obtained several new mics. The two MKH-816 shotguns could
definitely use the help of a pre for the sort of distances I often work.
And the MKH-80 and MKH-30 are a obvious M/S combo. So I've been getting
used to the idea of spending a big sum on a pre, and the Sound Devices
MP-2 has been more or less top of that list. Lang uses one and I got to
listen to it's output and even record a bit when he was down here. So, I
know it will work happily with the portadisc.

I have noted one missing feature on the MP-2. If running M/S, it's
decoded stereo width is made by adjusting the gain on the two channels.
If you are running using the decoder just for headphone monitoring, then
you could not adjust the width for the headphones without changing
what's going to the recorder. Don't know if that's a problem or not.
Have you played with M/S?

I agree, a pre is pretty much essential with shotguns and such like if
you want to record at any significant distance. The parabolic you can
get by without it as there is a bunch of gain before the mic.

> The only portable pre that I've heard folks consistently speak higher
> of is the ~$1,400 Lunatec V2 by Grace Design. Apogee's Mini Me is
> about the same price and I believe it has USB out too.  I've read a
> few positive comments about the MiniMe but I haven't read of anyone
> comparing it's sound to the other units.

Note that Sound Design has a USB pre as well. I'm not too interested as
carting a laptop in the field is a problem. I did wonder if it would
feed the Portadisc, which will take USB input. My bet is that a computer
might be needed there as a intermediate. In any case that does not have M/S=
.

Have you used the limiter on the MP-2? How much does it muck things up?