birding-aus

Lesser Black-backed Gull at Broome tip- Birdforum Discussion Update

To: robert morris <>, "" <>, birding aus <>
Subject: Lesser Black-backed Gull at Broome tip- Birdforum Discussion Update
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 00:27:43 -0800 (PST)
Thanks for your comment, Rob. I am also still not happy with the bird's
structure for L. f. fuscus. Maybe a large male? But where does the
dark-speckled iris come from?
In the European discussion graellsii and intermedius were mentioned. First, I
thought (but I don't know for certain) that the Broome bird's moult doesn't fit
these two taxa. Second, I remember a paper by Visa Rauste in Limicola, in which
he says that heuglini and graellsii/intermedius are more or less inseparable.
There is also an interesting paper by Chris Gibbins (Birding Scotland 7 (4):
153-186).
However, given the known (or at least speculated) migration routes, the
occurrence of graellsii and intermedius in Australia would be very unlikely -
in contrast to heuglini and fuscus.

Cheers,

Nikolas

RAUSTE, V. (1999). Kennzeichen und Mauser von “Baltischen Heringsmöwen” Larus
[fuscus] fuscus
und “Tundramöwen” L.[fuscus] heuglini. Part I. Limicola 13, 105-128.
RAUSTE, V. (1999). Kennzeichen und Mauser von “Baltischen Heringsmöwen” Larus
[fuscus] fuscus
und “Tundramöwen” L.[fuscus] heuglini. Part II. Limicola 13, 153-188.

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW