birding-aus

Lesser Black-backed Gull at Broome tip

To: <>
Subject: Lesser Black-backed Gull at Broome tip
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:01:38 +1100
Or surely an easier way to use feathers (or other genetic material from it)
than DNA analysis is to obtain the feathers from a moulting bird (if it is
and they can be found), especially those that show important characters such
as the white tips to wing feathers, the back colour and the other minutiae
described by others as field ID characters between the various options, and
compare these to known museum reference materials. Excuse me for suggesting
this, as if someone else mentioned it I missed it. Although I only just
thought of it, it seems such a simple obvious suggestion.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Jeff Davies
Sent: Wednesday, 23 January 2013 12:51 AM       To: 'Chris Corben';
 Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Lesser
Black-backed Gull at Broome tip

A very good suggestion Chris which should be put to George Swann in Broome,
cheers Jeff.

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Chris Corben
Sent: Tuesday, 22 January 2013 11:39 PM To:

So has anyone tried to collect some genetic material from it? All you should
need is a dropped feather, or a bit of gull crap or something and there
would be a chance. It probably wouldn't resolve anything quickly, but in the
long term it might. I don't get any strong impression it's going to be
easily resolved  any other way....

Cheers, Chris.