birding-aus

Lesser Black-backed Gull at Broome tip

To: "" <>
Subject: Lesser Black-backed Gull at Broome tip
From: KEN TUCKER <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:18:35 +0000 (GMT)
You might be interested in some (admittedly poor) shots of heuglini and
presumed barabensis I photographed in Sri Lanka at the end of December 2012
which can be seen here; http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=248501

The mantle colour of the heuglini there reminded me of graellsii. The presumed
barabensis was paler still.

The Broome gull seems quite dark but not far removed from what I observed in
heuglini and I don't think that taxon can be excluded on mantle colour. It is
certainly not as dark as I have been led to believe fuscus is (which is
practically black). I would say that its bare parts seem a little brighter than
I might expect on a northern hemisphere gull at this time of year - but they
are starting to colour-up as my barabensis photo shows. I shall leave it to
others to debate the finer points of wing-tip pattern etc.

Happy birding
Ken
Dorset
UK