birding-aus

sex, not gender

To: "'Merrilyn Serong'" <>, <>
Subject: sex, not gender
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:25:07 +1100
Below is an email that I sent privately to Philip late this afternoon.  In
light of Merrilyn's latest contribution to the discussion, I thought it was
appropriate to share it on Birding-aus. It supports the argument that
Merrilyn has put forward.

Stephen

Philip,

With respect, I think you are the one that is missing the point.

The term "gender" came into effect in the English language in the 1700s when
it was introduced by patriarchal Christians (after the completion of the
King James' version of the Bible) to define the roles of men and women in
human society. The theory postulated in the link to the paper that I posted
to Birding-aus earlier today is that women in the Middle Ages were becoming
more powerful and outspoken. So the male-dominated Christian church
hierarchy defined gender roles for men (masculinity) and women (femininity),
according to their interpretation of the St James Bible. "Gender" is a
derivation of the word "genesis", a word first used by Aristotle in Ancient
Greece to describe the origin of life or a living being. Use of the term
"gender" by the Christian Church of the Middle Ages promoted the concept
that God created woman to obey (be subservient to) man. Hence, according to
the Christian Church, a woman must behave a certain way towards a man, and a
man must behave a certain way towards a woman. These gender rules are
religious/cultural rules, not due to differences in anatomy, physiology or
biological behaviour that define the "sex" of a species.

As a biologist and an atheist, I also object to Christian values or terms
being applied to science. Even if I was religious (Christian or another
faith), there is no role for religion in biological studies.

Cheers,
Stephen

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW