birding-aus

sex, not gender

To: "" <>
Subject: sex, not gender
From: Kevin and Lizzie <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:25:35 +1030
The word "gender" is relevant in biology, but only in the technical sense
to which Philip Veerman refers.  Because scientific names are formed in
Latin, which is a language where nouns have gender, the name of each genus
is masculine, feminine or neuter.  The species and race should be the same
gender (although as it's not real Latin and the names have been assigned by
scientists, not linguists, this  is far from being universally true).

All accipiters (which is where we came in) are masculine in gender, while
all aquilas are feminine.  Neuter genera (the word genus is itself neuter)
are relatively rare, but the flowerpecker genus to which mistletoebird
belongs, dicaeum, is an example.

Kevin Stracey