birding-aus

sex, not gender

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: sex, not gender
From: "Jeremy O'Wheel" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:06:53 +1100
An interesting couple of additions to this discussion;

1.  If you do a journal article search for "gender" amongst zoological
journals, there are actually quite a lot (although it's difficult to find a
non biased metric in order to compare with "sex" as a synonym, but that
does appear to be a lot more common.)  Not that this in anyway indicates
that using "gender" to talk about the sex of animals is correct, but it's
interesting to note that it gets through in some cases.

2.  A Google Books Ngram search of "gender" and "sex" together is really
interesting (to me at least :P).  Basically this searches through virtually
everybook printed since 1800 and gives a word count for "sex" and for
"gender".

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=sex%2C+gender&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=

As you can see, the word "gender" was virtually never used at all until
1970, and has very recently entered published language after that.  "Sex"
has been used in the printed world for a lot longer, but also increased
dramatically from about 1960-1980, and has been steady since then (while
use of "gender" continued to grow, before beginning to peak in the late
90s).

Jeremy