Re: Hello from new member in Australia

Subject: Re: Hello from new member in Australia
From: "Chris Lumsden" spectreman51
Date: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:54 am ((PDT))
Hi Dan.

Thanks for the info.
I definitely soon do want to purchase a better mic for my Uher.
The Sennheiser mics look great, but most are outside of my budget unfortuna=
tely.
Remember, I am doing this as a hobby, not a profession.
Can anyone suggest a good mic I can buy for up to $250 AUD ?
One that is ok for field recording particularly.

Thanks, Chris

> On 10 Apr. 2017, at 8:28 am, Dan Dugan  [naturerecordists=
] <> wrote:

>> I did seriously consider buying a digital recorder, but was not 100% hap=
py to read the mic preamps on a lot of the cheaper units are somewhat noisy=
. So did not go for a cheap digital recorder because of this.

> The good news is that high-sensitivity mics deliver enough signal to make=
 the mic preamp noise of most not-great little recorders irrelevant. The ba=
d news is that mics with both high output and low self-noise are more expen=
sive.

> Photography parallel: A high-quality lens can cost more than a cheap DSLR=
 body, and make a large improvement. Similarly a pro mic into a consumer re=
corder can produce professional-level results. Of course a professional rec=
order is more rugged and reliable under field conditions.