Re: Hello from new member in Australia

Subject: Re: Hello from new member in Australia
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Sun Apr 9, 2017 8:32 am ((PDT))
M-S (Mid-Side format) is the best option for most of the field work I=92ve =
been doing since the late 1980s. That=92s because the protocol is really fl=
exible in post-production.* My M-S mic kit consists of a Sennheiser MKH30 (=
Fig. 8 pattern) and a MKH40 (cardioid pattern). As a back-up in the field =
=96 very light and portable =96 I use an Olympus LS10 with a Sound Devices =
MixPre (preamp), and a pair of DPA 4060s that I pin to my shoulders (or I t=
ie a string around a tree the approx diameter of the distance between one=
=92s ears and clip the DPAs at 180=B0 in opposite.).

BTW, for those interested in retro-sound, I just sold my Webster-Chicago Mo=
d 80 wire recorder. Built in the 1940s, one edits by cutting and tying thin=
 strands of wire together. Lots of clicking and popping as crimps in the wi=
re try to navigate the magnetic head and transport. And there are special =
=93bumps=94 when the tied edits passed by, not to mention the cross-talk tr=
ansferred from layer to layer of magnetized wire. Not terribly good for fie=
ld recording, though, unless you have a car battery and transformer in your=
 backpack.

Bernie

*More detail on the MS post-production options discussed in Wild Soundscape=
s: Discovering the Voice of the Natural World, Yale University Press, 2016.

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-938-5388
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

SKYPE: WildSanctuary
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
TED Global talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_n=
atural_world?language=3Den

ecordists] <> wrote:

> Hi Bernie & Vicki.
>
> Thanks very much for the replies.
> I do love analog reel to reel decks, I have an excellent Pioneer RT1050 2=
 track machine at home.
> I did seriously consider buying a digital recorder, but was not 100% happ=
y to read the mic preamps on a lot of the cheaper units are somewhat noisy.=
 So did not go for a cheap digital recorder because of this.
> The digital recorder I would love to buy one day would be a Sound Devices=
 unit, but they are above my budget for now. This is not a profession for m=
e, just a hobby, for now at least.

> So I got the UHER deck to try out.
> I must point out, my Report Monitor 4000 is the last series of UHER decks=
 made. My one, being a version 2 model, was made in 1996, not 1960's.
> The mic pre in it is actually quite good, better than the original models=
.
> It has 3 heads, peak reading meter, and is very quiet when running. Has h=
ad all belts replaced.
> Was also brand new, in original box & all.
> I may be soon getting a Nagra 4.2 to use, through a donation to me, which=
 would be great to try out too.

> Don't worry, one day I will get myself a decent digital recorder, yes the=
y are much easier to edit recordings etc.  But for awhile at least, will st=
ick to my Uher recorder.

> So what mics are you guys using ?
> The 3 main mics I have been using so far are an Audio Technica AT811, Bey=
erdynamic M550, and a UHER mic made by the German company Peiker, sounds ve=
ry nice.

.com <>> wrote:

>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Make sure you read 'Save that Song' by John Hutchinson, pioneer
>> Australian nature recordist, he travelled the outback with reel to
>> reel gear and studio mics, camping out and waiting for perfect moments =

>> of birdsong. He also recorded messages from tribal Aborigines that
>> were to be played to the next tribe along his route. He was a lovely
>> bloke and died quite recently.
>>
>> Tape hiss and print-through are considered by some as an art form, and =

>> younger recordists are drawn to the nostalgic wobbly quality of old-
>> style recordings :-D
>>
>> Vicki Powys
>> Capertee Valley NSW
>> Australia
>>
>> On 09/04/2017, at 9:12 AM, Chris Lumsden  <mailto:=
>
>> [naturerecordists] wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all.
>> >
>> > Just joined this group.
>> > I have recently taken up a new hobby of field recording. I am
>> > particularly interested in recording ambient outdoor sounds, nature
>> > sounds etc, and have been recording interviews with my family too.
>> > However, I don't use any modern digital gear for this. I am a big
>> > reel to reel tape enthusiast, so I currently have a NOS never used
>> > UHER Report Monitor 4000 portable tape deck as my recorder.
>> > I also have a variety of mics to use, mostly second hand ones, but
>> > would like to improve on this.
>> > Please note that the UHER deck I have is Mono only, but is ok for my =

>> > use, for now at least.
>> > I would like to have a Nagra one day, but they are a bit too
>> > expensive still !
>> >
>> > The Uher works really well, and sounds great.
>> > One nature event I love recording is thunderstorms ! But can be
>> > tricky to record them well alright. I am still learning a lot of
>> > things about this field.
>> > I urgently need to purchase some decent windshields for my mics too.
>> >
>> > Does anyone else on this group record with a reel to reel analog
>> > deck ?
>> >
>> > Cheers, Chris
>> > Melbourne, Australia

>> > Posted by: Chris Lumsden < <spectreman51@=