Re: Hello from new member in Australia

Subject: Re: Hello from new member in Australia
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Sat Apr 8, 2017 5:59 pm ((PDT))
Welcome to the group, Chris.

In 1968, I begen field recording with a Uher 4200 beta-test model (2-trk) a=
nd never looked back. It, for it=92s time, was a very useful and handy devi=
ce, light-weight (relatively), and with it=92s several speed setting option=
s, could make a 5=94 or 7=94 reel of tape last for a while. Three years lat=
er, I got one of the early Nagra IVs machines and never looked back (I was =
much more physically fit, then).

It sounds as if you really love the Uher. And I understand that. But, there=
=92s a practical side to consider, here: you could probably sell it for a b=
it over 130AUD, add a few quid, and snag a nice digital recorder that would=
 end up being lots cheaper and much less time consuming. For one thing the =
batteries tend to last longer (unless you=92re running on re-chargable exte=
rnal power). You won=92t have to pay for audio tape. And the audio quality =
will be many factors better. In post production you don=92t have to copy th=
e material in real time and it=92s much easier to edit in digital format. A=
lso, the 1960 version pre-amps in the Uher were really noisy. Finally, you=
=92ll never want to drop or jar it more than very lightly.

>From the aesthetic side, minimally, ambient sounds tend to sound much bette=
r when recorded in stereo. No matter what your attachment to the 4000, it a=
in=92t gonna give you any kind of result that even comes close to the space=
 and/or depth we experience in the natural world=85part of that inherently =
magic sound effect. The biophony is not a monaural event (unless one has on=
ly one operational ear to hear it with).

If you still want to record w/the Uher watching the tape move through the d=
rive, you may wish to consider getting something like one of the Zoom digit=
al or Sony PCM-M10 recorders for around 250AUD, set it alongside the Uher, =
spin the tape, but record on the Zoom. For natural soundscapes, my guess is=
 that you=92ll be a lot happier with the result and you can enjoy both medi=
a.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but I do hope it=92s ultimately=
 useful.

Good luck,
Bernie Krause

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-938-5388
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

SKYPE: WildSanctuary
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
TED Global talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_n=
atural_world?language=3Den

ecordists] <> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Just joined this group.
> I have recently taken up a new hobby of field recording. I am particularl=
y interested in recording ambient outdoor sounds, nature sounds etc, and ha=
ve been recording interviews with my family too.
> However, I don't use any modern digital gear for this. I am a big reel to=
 reel tape enthusiast, so I currently have a NOS never used UHER Report Mon=
itor 4000 portable tape deck as my recorder.
> I also have a variety of mics to use, mostly second hand ones, but would =
like to improve on this.
> Please note that the UHER deck I have is Mono only, but is ok for my use,=
 for now at least.
> I would like to have a Nagra one day, but they are a bit too expensive st=
ill !

> The Uher works really well, and sounds great.
> One nature event I love recording is thunderstorms !  But can be tricky t=
o record them well alright. I am still learning a lot of things about this =
field.
> I urgently need to purchase some decent windshields for my mics too.
>
> Does anyone else on this group record with a reel to reel analog deck ?
>
> Cheers, Chris
> Melbourne, Australia

> Posted by: Chris Lumsden <>

> sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause.

> Yahoo Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: