Re: Shotgun microphone recommendations or used mic for sale

Subject: Re: Shotgun microphone recommendations or used mic for sale
From: natureguyusa
Date: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:32 pm ((PST))
Hi Dan,=0D
=0D
If you are getting serious into nature recording, a shotgun microphone will=
 be extremely limiting. A shotgun mic will only be good for reaching birds =
that are within 30 feet, and won't be the greatest for interviews either. F=
or interviews, and cardioid or omnidirectional microphone is better, placed=
 closer to the subject. An omnidirectional can also be useful if you ever g=
et into recording ambient background sounds. Realistically, you would need =
a parabolic microphone to capture birds and animals since they will normall=
y be more like 50-400 feet away from the microphone. Parabolic microphones =
have mechanical audio gain that will be able to make a subject appear 10 ti=
mes closer than a regular microphone, plus have a greater degree of subject=
 isolation. Wildtronics will be releasing a new All Purpose Parabolic Micro=
phone within a couple of weeks that is the least expensive parabolic microp=
hone system available, and is modular, allowing you to add your own omnidir=
ectional microphone, one of our inexpensive, low noise PIP microphones, or =
one of our amplified microphones depending on your budget.=0D
=0D
The DR-05 recorder is a good unit, but it's microphone input noise is prett=
y high, for nature recording, at -109dB. The DR-05 only works well with amp=
lified microphones or high level sounds. Unless you use an amplified microp=
hone or very good preamp, I would try to step up into the $200 range record=
ers like a Sony PCM-M10, which has a low noise 3.5mm input, 13dB lower nois=
e than the DR-05. A Tascam DR-100mkII is another economical choice in the $=
200 range that has XLR inputs available, and is just 2-3 dB noisier than th=
e Sony PCM-M10. An XRL input, with phantom power, will expand the number of=
 microphones available. Other than our inexpensive, low noise PIP microphon=
e available shortly, an AT3032 or an AT4022 might be your lowest price omni=
directional microphone which have lower noise than a ME62. AT3032's can be =
found used since they are no longer in production. =0D
=0D
Sincerely,=0D
Bruce Rutkoski=0D
Owner=0D