Re: Hello and a Sony PCM D100 question

Subject: Re: Hello and a Sony PCM D100 question
From: picnet2
Date: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:13 pm ((PDT))
As mentioned I have no idea how Sony achieve SN100 "mode" or if its practic=
al in the field. Probably related to the inherent differential nonlinearity=
 noise of the ADC and by using two channels in parallel small DNL errors ar=
e randomised across the ADC input range, in effect they improve the SNR by =
dithering. Not that I want to dither anymore on this subject... I could mea=
sure the SN100 mode with a histogram function with the input terminated to =
50 ohms and the gain at max, then turn it off and observe if the histogram =
changes (substantially) - clearly there has to be a benefit, otherwise why =
go to so much trouble (and extra expense) implementing the feature for no b=
enefit?=0D
 =0D
=0D
 -Mike.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 how do two parallel a-d convertors improve matters. two capsules in parall=
el have noise that is random and signal that is not, and it gives an improv=
ement in noise. What do you get if you combine two non-synchronous bitstrea=
ms? and if they are synchronous, what noise advantage can you get?=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I think this is again an old problem, thinking analog in the digital domai=
n.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 umashankar=0D