Re: Hello and a Sony PCM D100 question

Subject: Re: Hello and a Sony PCM D100 question
From: madl74
Date: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:40 am ((PDT))
>  1) Use the S/N 100db feature for quiet ambient recordings.

Clive,

Yes, but keep the peak level low as you will lose nothing by bringing it up
later. I'm still analysing some test recordings. and the noise level seems
to be very low.

>  2) For recordings such as thunderstorms then switch to the Noise limiter
> option instead.

No. Limiters leave a hole after a peak which sounds naff. Thunder is one of
few sounds which sound better distorted. If you don't believe me, try it.

The same applies to recording gunshots. Years ago I used a miniature Nagra
tape recorder which had a very fast limiter for gunshots and they came out
like popcorn, followed by a pause, then a rush of echoes. The classic
gunshot sound is "kshew kshew" which is obtained by a large amount of
distortion.

David Brinicombe