Re: Hello and a Sony PCM D100 question

Subject: Re: Hello and a Sony PCM D100 question
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:22 pm ((PDT))
David wrote:

"I've lost recordings from the 3.5mm jack coming out and they are prone to
crackle if moved, especially with DC on them as with PIP."

I have been recording more than 1000 hours of PIP tracks during the
last five years using Olympus LS models, Sony D-50 and Nagra DS. No crackle=
.
Yes, some plugs have a tendency to come out of my old Olympus LS10,
but what is so terribly wrong with a rubber band holding it?

Your opinion about XLR's is old fashioned. Xlr's are fine when they
are fastened with screws into a die-cast chassis, like in the old
days, or at SoundDevice and some other (?) modern recorders. The four
consumer XLR recorders that I have are all broken because the xlr=B4s
are fastened only by soldering the lugs to the pcb board. It has been
enough to pull the cable to cause a break.

The most common reason for "lost recordings" is that the equipment is
too heavy, bulky and power consuming. You simply don't bring it with you.

It's a very different matter with professional people, investing
money in time and travelling, trying to make a living.

The main advantage with XLR's and phantom power today, is that you
can use the best of microphones with it.

I have claimed this point about once a year on this list.

Klas.

At 17:11 2014-06-20, you wrote:

>just two points
>
>a long time ago someone pointed out pcm and dsd are mappable to each
>other. the advantage of pcm is the ease of processing.
>
>how do two parallel a-d convertors improve matters. two capsules in
>parallel have noise that is random and signal that is not, and it
>gives an improvement in noise. What do you get if you combine two
>non-synchronous bitstreams? and if they are synchronous, what noise
>advantage can you get?
>
>I think this is again an old problem, thinking analog in the digital domai=
n.

>umashankar

hoogroups.com

><>naturerecordists-ful=