Re: Hello and a Sony PCM D100 question

Subject: Re: Hello and a Sony PCM D100 question
From: madl74
Date: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:02 am ((PDT))
>  One further question - I'm currently setting the rig on the ground rathe=
r than on a tripod (portability again) the results sound fine to me - might=
 the stereo image be better setting the rig at =E2=80=99ear=E2=80=99 level?

Clive,

I'm often banging on about this one. The problem with using a mic stand is=

the ground echo. Our ears compensate for this but a mic rig doesn't.

What I advise is to listen out while moving the mic up and down. With my
usual crossed gunmic rig, I get a slightly enhanced directionality and less=

background noise close to soft ground. Bird sound is sharper and the stereo=

clearer. Above hard ground you can usually hear phasing (comb filter effect=

or flanging) from the ground which is usually less prominent down low.

The other great benefit at ground level is less wind. Also it won't blow
over, and if you want to leave it out, you can camouflage it. I've had my
mics out in a safe woodland in a tent in all wethers for months, and that
has to be ground level.

David Brinicombe