Hello and a Sony PCM D100 question

Subject: Hello and a Sony PCM D100 question
From: mothman_98
Date: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:29 am ((PDT))
Hi,=0D
 =0D
 It has been quite a while since my last post. I've been mainly using an ag=
ed Atherstone parabolic dish with Twin Em172's and an LS-10 to record bird =
calls and insect sounds.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Recently I've become more interested in natural soundscape recording and d=
ecided to treat myself to a Sony PCM D100, mainly because I also plan to lo=
ok into ultrasonic recording of insects (I'm a keen amateur entomologist) a=
nd the 192khz spec. would expand the upper frequency range. =0D
 =0D
=0D
 Apart from its somewhat 'Star Trek' styling, I am slowly getting used to t=
he Sony - I'm currently using an SASS-style rig with 2x2 EM172's shamelessl=
y copied from Vicki Powys!=0D
 =0D
=0D
 The PCM D100 manual mentions a S/N 100db feature using which - "Noise can =
be  suppressed even with a low recording level" (full quote below).=0D
 =0D
=0D
 "With two A/D converters for one channel, the linear PCM recorder  always =
reserves audio signals that are 12 dB lower than audio  processed in the no=
rmal circuit in addition to the normal audio  signals. If an over-input occ=
urs, recorded data from the point at  which the over-input starts is replac=
ed and compensated.  Replacement is executed while maintaining the linearit=
y of two A/D  converters of different levels, realizing a high S/N ratio. N=
oise can be  suppressed even with a low recording level. ON:  S/N 100dB fun=
ction is enabled. OFF*: S/N 100dB function is disabled."=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Is this function likely to be useful in reducing intrinsic noise with quie=
t ambient recording or is there (as I suspect) a trade off in other ways?=
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Although I am quite well versed in photography, I am still trying to come =
to terms with the technicalities of sound recording so any help with deciph=
ering Sony-talk would be most welcome.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Cheers,=0D
 =0D