Re: Phanton power and battery power

Subject: Re: Phanton power and battery power
From: "michael trommer" trommersanssoleil
Date: Wed May 1, 2013 5:20 am ((PDT))
Hi anders...just curious: what are these external mics you=B9re using ?
I=B9m also a big fan of portability, but the external PIP mics I=B9ve been =
using
haven=B9t sounded much better than the internal mics of my R-09HR.

Cheers...

michael

On 1-05-13 7:38 AM, "klangstrand" <> wrote:

> I=B4m going to poke in a beehive here, but taking my chances..:-)
>
> I would actually investigate in smaller and cheaper altenatives.
> Like a Sony PCM M10, running electret microphones, lavalier type. Have ne=
ver
> made so many and good recordings as I have since I downgraded. A nice pai=
r of
> electrets straight into the PCM PIP has given me better and cleaner recor=
dings
> than any phantom-mic through my Mixpre-D or R-44, wich both have less tha=
n 10%
> batterylife, compared to the Sony (30-hours from two AA=B4s)
> Give you better portability(less cables, less overall equipment), more
> flexibility, easier setup, way better batterylife, and whatnot. I just ta=
ke my
> $300, 300gr of equipment, a couple of rubber bands (for riggin the mics t=
> whatever I want) put it in my pocket and return home later that day with =
far
> more and atleast equal quality sound than I would have done with my much =
more
> expensive and way heavier equipment.
> The electrets I use now have less than 15db selfnoise, and high sensitivt=
y,
> and the PCM=B4s preamps does not add a single db of noise to that, unless=
 I=B4m
> crancking it way up, which I rarely do. Mostly working with subtle sounds=
.
> It also has a line in that I find more than adequate.
> I=B4n not saying this setup is ideal for everyone, but for me atleast it =
has
> become a game-changer!
>
> Best
> -Anders
>
> --- In
> <naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com> , "bwanakomba" <=
.>

>>> http://soundcloud.com/sans-soleil/
>>> http://michaeltrommer.bandcamp.com/
>>> http://www.mixcloud.com/sans_soleil/