Subject: Summary: [Nature Recordists] Re: EIN values and bits and peaks
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:06 am ((PST))

> Could the variability in sensitivity between Telinga SSM microphones be a=
 factor?

Do we have the specs?

> Variably between stock EM172 capsules sensitivity(+ or - 3dB) would certa=
inly exhibit noticeable differences in the range of recorder EIN we are tal=
king about.

The mic input / preamps of the recorders varies quite a bit even taking int=
o consideration Raimunds figures. -The noise I found is present around 8Khz=
, the Shure 189 capsule does not exhibit this same bump at 8Khz despite bei=
ng technically higher noise...

> Also, could stated em172 variability in impedance (+ or - 30%)play any ro=
le in noise differences between different setups? I don't know anything abo=
ut that.

Probably.

The best sounding configuration Ive attained with the EM172's is powering t=
hem via
a battery box then into a 1:20 transformer (Sowter) (+26dB) to the line inp=
ut of the recorder (Sony D50) - this is quieter than the D50's own mic pre,=
 which is already very quiet by most portable recorder standards.... YMMV.=

-Mike.

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: