Re: Summary: [Nature Recordists] Re: EIN values and bits and peaks

Subject: Re: Summary: [Nature Recordists] Re: EIN values and bits and peaks
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:16 am ((PST))
Thanks Raimund.

Yes, you are right, I would very much like to "generalize" some
understanding of digital recorders.
Example: A client of mine (reporter) had fallen in love with the
sound and use of the old Sennheiser MD21. He had tried it with LS10,
a Tascam and a Zoom recorder, but got far too much noise. However, it
worked just fine with the Sony D50. And this was NOT a matter of 4-5
db, caused by EIN differences.
Why?

90% of all Sony D10 users get a audibly lower self noise when using
the Telinga Clip-On's, compared to the built in mics. But some 10% doesn't.
Why?

The by far noisiest recording that I have heard with the Telinga SSM,
were made with a Nagra digital recorder.
Why?

I have a long list of such "mysteries" that I would very much like to
have explained, at least on a basic level. So would my clients. If
these "why's" cannot be straightened out at all, please say so and I
will rest my case.

Klas.

At 11:14 2012-12-12, you wrote:> I find this thread very interesting
and ... confusing.