Re: Saul Mineroff Parabolic Reflector

Subject: Re: Saul Mineroff Parabolic Reflector
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:44 am ((PST))
All dishes that has a parabolic or near parabolic shape works fine.
Umbrellas are "fine".
During 40 years, I have tried lots of different modifications of the
typical round parabol, with the focal length 1/4 of the diameter, but
always found that the practical problems have been bigger than
possible audio benefits.

The problems:
1/ Weight and portability.
2/ Noise from the hand to the handle to the dish, then acoustically
transferred to the mic.
3/ All kinds of noise from the design when temperature changes, like
when walking in and out of a car.
4/ wind noise.
5/ Stereo.

The problems with DIY designs is not that they perform badly. It is
that people (usually) don't use them much.

Klas.