Re: Saul Mineroff Parabolic Reflector

Subject: Re: Saul Mineroff Parabolic Reflector
From: "Jez" tempjez
Date: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:09 am ((PST))
i'd avoid it - the mic isn't that good & using aluminum isn't good - colour=
s the sound somewhat. If you're in the UK you can get a dish for around =A3=
50 inc. p&p & then make your own mount & attach a decent omni from MM audio=
 or Naiant for example - which are better than the sme mic imo.  Or you can=
 try the Lisn parabolic dish & mic set up - which is similar to the telinga=
 in some ways, though obviously a lot cheaper. It sells for around =A3400 &=
 there is a US distributor.

--- In  Scott Varney <>=
 wrote:

> Thanks. I look forward to hearing about it in the Spring.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 10, 2012, at 11:41 AM, "natureguyusa" <> wrote:
>
> > Hi Scott,
> >
> > I don't have any direct experience of the Saul Mineroff Parabolic refle=
ctor, but Edmond Scientific or Edmond optics sells the same aluminum reflec=
tor, unpainted for under $50. Of course you will have to add your own handl=
e and mic mount. With aluminum though, it will be much more sensitive to th=
e slightest handling noise, vibration, and bumps, as metal transfers that t=
ype of noise much more so than plastic. I used to use the parabolic reflect=
or from Edmond Scientific a long time ago, and had to coat the back of the =
dish with foam to dampen the handling noise. The 18-inch diameter is just a=
 tad smaller than you might like for best response. I would prefer a dish t=
o be in the 20-24 inch range.

> > I know you are looking for a dish pretty quick, but if you can wait unt=
il Spring, I will be selling a parabolic dish complete with very low noise =
microphones, packaged as a complete system, in the same price range you are=
 looking for.

> > Bruce Rutkoski
> > Owner
> > www.natureguystudio.com
> >
> > --- In  "Scott" <scottvarney1968@> wro=
te:

> > > Can anyone give me some input as to the effectiveness of the SME PR-1=
000 Parabolic Microphone Reflector?

> > > I am just beginning my bird recording hobby and am searching for a go=
od parabolic microphone setup. I really don't want to spend more than $500 =
for a dish. I can't afford a Telinga and want to get started soon. I just o=
rdered a Marantz PMD 661 MK II recorder.