Re: Filing systems/software

Subject: Re: Filing systems/software
From: "Jeremiah Moore" jeremiahmoore99
Date: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:32 pm ((PST))
This is a pretty deep and important subject -- and has many, many right
answers.

Consistency is key, as is a system that's considered according to how it
will be used, with plenty of attention toward how it will be actually used
in practice.

I, too, have arrived at the basic hierarchic organizing principle of:
 - Date first (because this is always a known quantity, and serves as a
basic organizing principle)
 - Location or Subject Next
 - Filename structure somewhat flexible, focused on what I think the
specific sounds might be used for.  (i.e. the librarians principle of "put
it where it will be found.")
 - Metadata in files in standardized chunk formats (BWAV BEXT)
 - Also a good bit of info in filename and folder path.

A single flat database, keyword searchable by filename, description and
filepath, allows quick drilling into any sound by keyword.

As for categories:  I'm mainly concerned w/ film sound effects editing.  So
I use a short list of top level categories developed by a bunch of smart
editors over many years of work.  To get this I stripped all the category
data out of the SoundStorm library and use the same conventions myself.
 However, this is very use-specific.  i.e. it's terrible for scientific
use.  And it could easily lead to that favorite error of putting birds from
the wrong continent into a scene ;)

Haven't tried Avisoft... I'm mac based and don't have a windows VM up and
running (though perhaps I will set one up on new machine... probably Win XP
because I have it sitting around.)

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Chris Harrison <> wrote=
:

jeremiah moore | SOUND |
http://www.jeremiahmoore.com/