Re: Filing systems/software

Subject: Re: Filing systems/software
From: "Keith Smith" keithahsmith
Date: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:15 am ((PST))
  Dan,
" They're arbitrary numbers that have no value other than giving each file
an unique name."
Agreed -pretty much. Twenty or thirty audio takes (in my case) are much
easier to rename individually than 500 photo files, but I do like having a
consistent and sequential 'serial number'. I've certainly found that useful
in sorting out mixed up memories about photo shoots. I usually slate the
audio takes, too, or at least the first one of a group. I think I need to
agree with myself on a routine for that, as it would make file renaming
easier if left for a few days. More on Metadata below.
Thanks!

    Jeremiah,
    The HDP2 allows something similar (not to mention unlimited recording
presets which you can name any way you like -love that!).

    The thing I like best about this solution and Dan's is that they are
proofed against the disappearance, obsolescence or change of 'software by
others'. I'm on Win7x64 now, and not in a hurry to go Win8, which I fear
will turn my desktop into a big phone-app (the way things are going), but
even within that Win7 framework, updates can be brutal in how they affect
extant software. Admittedly, that comment applies more to hardware drivers
than anything else, but it makes me a bit nervous.

    That said, iMatch <http://www.photools.com/imatch-3-overview/> allows
unlimited categorization which can be changed at any time, excellent search
and sort on any combination of fields (including boolean operators) I care
to construct, not to mention scripting for batch work if the need arises
and deals easily with many thousands of files. I can run photos and audio
in completely separate databases and have better control over monitored
folders that I've seen in most mp3 catalogers. It's an attractive option
and, it doesn't preclude the incorporation of a hierarchical directory
structure. Maybe a combination of the two?

    If if do go the 'long name route', I certainly need to get rid of those
spaces or turn off proportional spacing, given my eyesight!

  Chris,
  This sounds very much like what I've done with the photos and
ExpertGPS<http://www.expertgps.com/>.
When I get back from a shoot, I download the track to EGPS, dump the whole
folder of jpegs onto it and the job is done -provided I keep the 2 clocks
together(!). I can then send the whole thing to GE with a single click. I
do think GE allows a more free-form comments attribute.

  I did play with iTunes for the purpose and also looked at MediaMonkey,
which seems to offer more control over which folders are monitored. They
are both pretty mp3-tag-centric, though.

  Peter, thanks for piping in!
  Wow, it's like stepping back to Norton on Dos 2.8. There is much about
those days I miss, but I'm sitting on about 7 TB now, and back then I
thought 40MB was a big drive! I'll have another look today and see if I can
find more than Your file-naming CamelCase scheme is similar to what I've
been doing, but spaces have a way of creeping in. Inconsistency and typos
are my main enemies.

  Following Dan's post, I found
http://udm4.com/Windows/BWF_MetaEdit-235261and played with it for few
minutes before bed time. It opened files I've
rendered with Reaper just fine, but complains the HDP2 and Marantz files
are truncated (actual and stated files sizes don't agree, it says). I don't
know what to make of that.

  You may find this
http://www.ebu.ch/fr/technical/publications/userguides/bwf_user_guide.phpin=
teresting.

  It certainly seems to me that BWF isn't going to offer much that I'm
interested in, other than GPS co-ords in Bext which Raimund mentions, for
some time, although I need to do more reading.

    Hi Raimund,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm definitely going to have a run at it
this afternoon, and I expect Jeremiah will, too. Dumping a folder into a
gpx track would fit in well with my other activities.
    Thanks!

    I'm also going to have another look at The DAM Book -Digital Asset
Management for Photographers pub. O'Reilly, to see if there are any
applicable ideas or software mentioned in there. Good book, but rather
Adobe-centric. It might be of interest to others, here.

     I'll think about all this, mess with some options and see what I can
come up with. Hearing these ideas and having to formulate some kind of
sensible reply seem to be the most profitable exercise.

     Thanks again to all posters!
     Keith

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 3:51 AM, Raimund <>wrot=
e:

--
Keith Smith

Keith Smith Trio, Northern Lights =96 Altai Khangai - www.keithsmith.ca