Re: Filing systems/software

Subject: Re: Filing systems/software
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:28 am ((PST))
> For nature and 'found sound', I'm using 2 recorders (661 & HDP2),
numerous mic combinations, and working at many locations. I have no
clients, but would like to keep track of recording purpose and what
I've done to a recording as well as what I do with it.

Keith,

As others have said, you can use metadata for recording details but
this doesn't help with a search. All my recordings and pix go into
dated folders in the form yymmdd. The recorders provide a unique
mumber so I can locate a file from just its original serial number.

I also run three trail cameras and they reset to zero if the batteries
run out. With those I rename the letter prefix such as "PICTnnnn" to
include codes for the camera, location and date using File Monkey:
www.monkeyjob.com
which has a lot of other useful file handling functions.

Again for ease of searching, I sometimes add a word after the file
name, but rather than use metadata, I put a text file in the yymmdd
folder with full details of any editing and tweaking. Again this is
searchable for, say, "woodpecker" so I can pull out a list of all date
folders with woodpeckers.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce