Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array

Subject: Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array
From: "rock_scallop" rock_scallop
Date: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:48 am ((PDT))
Hi Curt,
Thank you much, for sharing your ideas and experiments.

> The key is no doubt the angles and proportions hammered out by the original
> SASS designers years ago. Rob Danielson has shown that it scales up, and I've
> shown that it scales down, which I think really tells us something about the
> original design.

Rob's large design does not scale the design proportionally like your miniature
does, rather he keeps the mic spacing and the nose width consistent with the
original SASS.  Just food for thought.

> ...this little project confirmed my lack of enthusiasm for the SASS  approach
> in general, so I'm not going to go down that rabbit trail.

In my approach there is no one ideal design (excepting of course my own baffled
cardiod design :)) There are many useful stereo arrays out there, and each can
offer a unique perspective. What specifically about the SASS perspective do you
feel lacking?

> ... I'm now working on a small ultra-light version of my "winged" array
> concept. It should be quite easy for DIY-ers to build. When I get it nailed
> down, I'll be happy to share the details.

Your parallel boundary and "winged" array designs seem already very portable.
The simplest adaption of your earlier parallel design that I tried several
years ago was just to mount WL-183s to the sides of a yoga block and screw it
down to a lightweight tripod - definitely the lightest and compact array I have
used. That could possibly be chopped down to a "winged" configuration.

John Hartog
rockscallop.org