Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array

Subject: Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 am ((PDT))
Bernie,

The key is no doubt the angles and proportions hammered out by the original
SASS designers years ago. Rob Danielson has shown that it scales up, and I've
shown that it scales down, which I think really tells us something about the
original design.

You asked for more details about how I made it. Not to be coy or to hold back,
but I just don't have an app for drafting it out into a document that could be
shared across the internet. My hand drawing is a mess, and it's a bit too
complicated to lay it out in writing. Rob's plans have all the angles and
dimensions. I found it to be really quite easy to down-size, pretty much the
way a cook might scale up or down a recipe. I used a piece of 2"x3" stud for
main the body. The nose piece was cut out separately and screwed on. For sizing
cues, think of a small pocket camera with its lens extended.

The recording I posted didn't show it, but the mini-SASS, as it is right now,
exhibits some serious stereo imaging issues. It would take some effort to get
those problems resolved -- probably by shaving down the wood nose piece or
replacing it with closed-sell foam. But for me, this little project confirmed
my lack of enthusiasm for the SASS approach in general, so I'm not going to go
down that rabbit trail.

Judging from some private e-mails I received, however, this idea really strikes
a nerve. There seems to be strong interest out there in a light-weight,
inexpensive microphone array that sounds really good. I came back from my
recent trip to Poland, with shoulders aching, thinking the same thing. I'm now
working on a small ultra-light version of my "winged" array concept. It should
be quite easy for DIY-ers to build. When I get it nailed down, I'll be happy to
share the details.

Curt Olson