Re: Schoeps Double MS sample

Subject: Re: Schoeps Double MS sample
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:32 am ((PDT))
> ... "you get a surround recording that you can afterwards decode to
> quad
> or 5.1 easily !"
>
> What is really good IMO is you can simulate any number of  mics with
> any
> polar pattern between Omni though to Fig8.

What is not useful is that every configuration has a very wide angle
of acceptance, vertical as well as horizontal, so every passing plane,
wind in trees, traffic or geoacoustic sources and ground reflections
are also well recorded. I find for wildlife that limited angle
directionality is still noisy but it does give a much greater fetch
for the sources I want to record. Wind and planes I can add on later
if I really wanted them. :-)

The only saving grace of a configurable cardioid/fig-8 array is that
you can reduce one source from one particular solid angle, but bear in
mind that the total active solid angle of a fig-8 is large and as soon
as you add in an omni component it gets larger.

> With MS, the width can easily be varied in post production, but the
> effective polar patterns will be dictated by the relative amounts of
> M&S &
> the polar patter of the "M" mic.

Nope. The total solid angle width cannot be varied, only the stereo
object angle can be varied by a small amount from wide to very wide.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce