Re: Schoeps Double MS sample

Subject: Re: Schoeps Double MS sample
From: "John Lundsten" lundsten_john
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:20 pm ((PDT))
Re what Marinos Koutsomichalis wrote (below)

To parphrase what I think you said. I agree Schoeps mics tend to sound
"better" than Soundfield mics.

Re the relitave merits of B-format compared to Double MS.

Do bear in mind it is very easy to convert DMS to Horizontal only B-format=

(IE no "Z"). If you prefer to use B-format tools/plug-in's, rather than the=

very good & free Schoeps VST.
The maths
W =3D Front + Back cardioid
X and Y, will depend on how you orientate the mic. But will be:--
Front - Back cardioid
The Fig8 mic

Marinos Koutsomichalis --
I' ve worked extensively with the ST-250 but not with the schoeps double MS=
,
however I' d like to express some thoughts

the schoeps are supposed to be top-notch microphones (and as I can tell fro=
a couple of recordings I heard once - they ARE top-notch). I have the
impression that the soundfield sounds a bit artificial if compared with the=

schoeps, but my experience is very limited to jump into conclusions

But I find the comparison totally misleading, as the two systems are
completely different in terms of objective and potential. The schoepps
system deliver double MS while the soundfield is an ambisonics mike. It can=

deliver b-format out-of-the-box, while the schoeps just cannot.

so what exactly are we comparing ?

a soundfield recording can be decoded for a full-sphere rig of say 16
speakers resulting in a 3d immersive sound experience. While it is possible=

to do some alchemy and have a doubleMS recording played back accordingly, I=

doubt whether the result would be of equal interest (at least in terms of
faithful localization)

a doubleMS rig is in essence 2-dimensional while soundfield is a
3-dimensional mike

So if you want to work with ambisonic rigs, then a doubleMS system is no
good at all.. On the other hand, somebody into the film industry would
normally prefer doubleMS (I guess) over b-format for reasons of
standardization.

--
Marinos Koutsomichalis
Music Research Center, University of York