Re: Schoeps Double MS sample

Subject: Re: Schoeps Double MS sample
From: "John Lundsten" lundsten_john
Date: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:47 am ((PDT))
 Avocet
Schoeps Double MS sample

JL}   > What is really good IMO is you can simulate any number of mics with
> any
> polar pattern between Omni through to Fig8.

 Avocet
"What is not useful is that every configuration has a very wide angle
of acceptance, vertical as well as horizontal,."

Relative to a pair of parabolas or 416's say, then yes sure, the horizontal
acceptance angle will be  tend to be wider, but the major point I was making
is that the acceptance angle is very controllable. One can have any 1st
Order mic polar response.
As to "Vertical", no, double MS (or ambisonics) is no wider vertically than
any other 1st order mic  & including Gun Mics.

With double MS it is quite possible to accurately simulate a pair of
hypercarioids that behave just as pair of mics pointing anywhere from 0deg
to 180deg.

" so every passing plane,
wind in trees, traffic or geoacoustic sources and ground reflections
are also well recorded. I find for wildlife that limited angle
directionality is still noisy but it does give a much greater fetch
for the sources I want to record. Wind and planes I can add on later
if I really wanted them. :-)"
It's a given any Stereo or Surround recording will pick up more ambient
sound compared to Mono.

The only saving grace of a configurable cardioid/fig-8 array is that
you can reduce one source from one particular solid angle, but bear in
mind that the total active solid angle of a fig-8 is large and as soon
as you add in an omni component it gets larger.

?? not sure what you want to say here.
But for info, a Fig8 is the narrowest (or most directional)  1st order mic
possible.
JL

No virus found in this message.