Re: Best stereo solution for nature recording while backpacking thro

Subject: Re: Best stereo solution for nature recording while backpacking thro
From: "Gregory O'Drobinak" gmo_dunes2
Date: Fri Jul 1, 2011 11:18 pm ((PDT))
You really need an air space all around the mic. A sphere is best since it =
is
symmetrical and no eddies can form due to edge effects. One of the high-end=
 mic
manufacturers has a white paper on it that summed up some serious research.=
 I'm
thinking it was Neuman or Schoeps. Just do a search for it.

You just can't go against the laws of physics. I've tried and you can't bea=
t a
sphere. But there is also layering that has to happen properly with that as=

well. You have to experiment, depending on your mic.

Stick each clip-on in the *center* of a nice fat ball gag with the proper
outside fur and you'll probably get good results. I guess you'll need a big=

"transparent' beach ball for the LS-10. All of the small hand-held recorder=
s [I
have 3 different models] that I've tried have serious problems with any kin=
d of
'wind protection' for the built-in mics. Forget it unless you're in a total=

vacuum.

Yet again, try one of the SASS designs with a properly suspended Lycra shie=
ld.
You might find the holy grail, yet.

-Greg