Re: Best stereo solution for nature recording while backpacking thro

Subject: Re: Best stereo solution for nature recording while backpacking thro
From: "Marcus Buick" mbuick
Date: Fri Jul 1, 2011 1:07 pm ((PDT))
A long time ago, before ProTools (BPT), a great teacher
taught me not to worry about the playback part of the equation.=A0 It was o=
utmost importance to capture, as accurately as possible, any historically
significant sound as well as one was capable of.=A0 While actually playing
back something is important to clients, students, and researchers, the adva=
nce
of technology allows for more forms of media to be reproduced in a myriad o=
ways as time marches on.
=A0
As an example, a few of my early recordings suffer from
over-modulation during peaks of very dynamic material.=A0 I=E2=80=99m talki=
ng about recordings made
during the 1980=E2=80=99s with analog gear.=A0 There is now software (Izoto=
peRX) that can fix these issues.=A0 It=E2=80=99s true that digital OM peaks=
 are
still a wasteland, but soon that may no longer be the case.
=A0
My point is that a $900 ambisonic solution may provide more
and greater results down the road for more people.=A0 The more accuracy tha=
t is recorded along with more material
make a greater percentage of individuals aware that higher quality is a des=
ired
trait.=A0 Thus more work (and love of
recording) down the road for those of us who engage in it daily.=A0 I love =
seeing stuff like this.