Re: Best stereo solution for nature recording while backpacking thro

Subject: Re: Best stereo solution for nature recording while backpacking thro
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Fri Jul 1, 2011 12:09 pm ((PDT))
> If looking for best packpacking equipment, may I remind about these
> http://www.telinga.com/ls10.htm
> Picture two from the top.
> And they don't sound "really really really real" - they sound like
> two very good omnis for Plug In Power and have the lowest self noise
> level of all such mic's.

I've recently done four overnight sessions, two in Joshua Tree and two in Y=
osemite, using an "ultralight" backpacking recording system of four Telinga=
 clip-ons and two Olympus LS-10 recorders.

So far as weight and recording quality go, the sessions were great.

There are practical considerations; the two LS-10s drifted apart a lot, mor=
e than a second in an hour, much more that the MD recorders that I used to =
do this trick with. I have a technique for synchronizing front and rear pai=
rs in post, using a party clicker for head and tail clicks that give me bot=
h front-rear and recording rate sync. Of course on a couple of takes I forg=
ot the tail click and will have to fake it.

I had an awful scare at the end of a nice dawn chorus at 49 Palms Oasis in =
Joshua Tree National Park. I rolled over in my sleeping bag to hit the stop=
 button and there was a static spark from my finger to the recorder. The LS=
-10 said "memory error" and also "insert memory card." I was sure I'd blown=
 the front channels file. The recorder wouldn't shut down. I fiddled with v=
arious buttons and then it rebooted. I was very encouraged to see a message=
 "recovering file"! Olympus saved my crashed dawn chorus file without damag=
e, bless their hearts. Only the metadata was wrong, the file creation and m=
odification times were the same. The next desert location I put a cluster o=
f tent stakes in the sand and poured some water on it. I touched that befor=
e touching my recorder and there was no problem.

On Black Eagle Mine Road in Joshua Tree I recorded in perhaps the quietest =
spot that I've ever experienced. When the wind died down in the small hours=
 of the morning there was just nothing. There, listening with a lot of gain=
, I noticed something odd. A light breeze on the Telinga Clip-Ons made a ru=
stling sound, distinct from the booming sound of wind on a mic. After I had=
 struck my system after dawn chorus I heard a canyon wren, and put an LS-10=
 with a Rykote long-hair windscreen on a rock for a few minutes. Though it =
wasn't the same mics, I think that that recording might serve to compare th=
e effect of the different windscreens. The Rykote fur is long and silky and=
 the windscreens supplied with the Clip-Ons are made of stiff wiry fibers. =
Listen to the two files at:

http://www.dandugan.com/downloads/Nature_Sounds_Recordings/JOTR_wind_tests/

The file NS110602_04.26.06_JOTR_BER_Telinga_COM-LS10.mp3 is the Telinga Cli=
p-ons, and the file

NS110602_06.39.00_JOTR_BER_LS10_mics_hp_rykote.mp3 is the LS-10 mics with R=
ykote windscreen in a similar situation (low cut filter on).

What do you think?

-Dan