Re: Best stereo solution for nature recording while backpacking thro

Subject: Re: Best stereo solution for nature recording while backpacking thro
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Fri Jul 1, 2011 1:33 pm ((PDT))
I forgot..

http://soundcloud.com/urlme/useyourhead

Perhaps the simplest? setup besides the recorders own internal mics is a se=
t of binaural microphones in your own ears. The major downside to this meth=
od is keeping still and silent so your own body sounds are not recorded. Mo=
st binaural mics also do not let you monitor at the same time, some do howe=
ver such as the Edirol CS10-EM - although these are relatively noisy at 30+=
dBA self noise.
Klas's clip on's or equivalent omni capsules can also be placed near your h=
ead or around a tree for a similar effect, backpack boundary, rock sized bo=
undary, large wooden log doubling as a boundary etc.

-Mike.

--- In  Marcus Buick <> wrote:

> A long time ago, before ProTools (BPT), a great teacher
> taught me not to worry about the playback part of the equation.=C2=A0 It =
was of
> utmost importance to capture, as accurately as possible, any historically
> significant sound as well as one was capable of.=C2=A0 While actually pla=
ying
> back something is important to clients, students, and researchers, the ad=
vance
> of technology allows for more forms of media to be reproduced in a myriad=
 of
> ways as time marches on.
> =C2=A0
> As an example, a few of my early recordings suffer from
> over-modulation during peaks of very dynamic material.=C2=A0 I=E2=80=99m =
talking about recordings made
> during the 1980=E2=80=99s with analog gear.=C2=A0 There is now software (=
IzotopeRX) that can fix these issues.=C2=A0 It=E2=80=99s true that digital =
OM peaks are
> still a wasteland, but soon that may no longer be the case.
> =C2=A0
> My point is that a $900 ambisonic solution may provide more
> and greater results down the road for more people.=C2=A0 The more accurac=
y that is recorded along with more material
> make a greater percentage of individuals aware that higher quality is a d=
esired
> trait.=C2=A0 Thus more work (and love of
> recording) down the road for those of us who engage in it daily.=C2=A0 I =
love seeing stuff like this.

rding while backpacking through Sierras?