Re: Cataloging Sounds

Subject: Re: Cataloging Sounds
From: "simmosonics" simmosonics
Date: Sun Nov 7, 2010 1:10 pm ((PST))
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> Should we stop using the material for 3-5 years
> because of illness or hearing loss, it looks like a 16TB mess to the
> universe.

A thought I dread! It is very important to always try to 'de-personalise' the
file naming and so on, removing any assumed knowledge from the process and
replacing it with the assumption that the person looking at it has no idea what
it is!

I started using Spotlight as a temporary way to quickly log all the information
I had; I must admit I was not taking seriously at first. Then I realised that
is was actually very useful - I love the ability to click on any file in the
list and preview it simply by pressing the space bar. No need to launch any
apps, it's built right into the operating system.

I also use some batch apps that allow me to enter/append the same Spotlight
comments into many files at once, which comes in handy for the more global
information such as location. With Spotlight comments, I don't have to worry
about organising the information, I can just enter it in any old format, which
is good when I'm tired and/or in a hurry and not thinking in a clearly
structured manner.

One day I intend to go through all of this stuff and somehow formally organise
it, but that day seems to be getting farther and farther away. Hopefully, if it
ever arrives I will have enough information in the Spotlight comments field to
make it work...

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: