Re: Cataloging Sounds

Subject: Re: Cataloging Sounds
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Nov 5, 2010 12:06 pm ((PDT))
Hi--
I guess an embellished finder that finds, sorts and plays new audio
and video file types and allows me to try-out plug-ins
non-destructively while exporting a modified file is worth $70 to
me,.. though much of this may be free if I wait a while. I'm not
seeing a lot of cataloging finesse even in the $800 versions.

In terms creating a library, work-flow is crucial. I need to be able
to add many kinds of information that change over time to my library
_as I log_  and create excerpts. That is when I'm in the best mind
set.  I would need a completely different _sets_ of tags when I
record in the city or at a conference or for an interview or video. I
need to be automatically added and integrated to the library.

Tags are intermediary means best for things bringing in time stamping
and batch processing constants like date, weather, gear-used and such
for each recording foray.  Batch processing can be done outside of
tagging, as with numerous designated marker types in an audio app.

The important, time-consuming work, as Vicki says, comes down to
adding particulars. We also need to be able to link photos, add
casual comments, synchronized weather data, web links, even
synchronized location data as Raimund showed with his bat recordings.
It really helps to see my additions in a timeline too. Recordists
need ways to do all of the above with basic recording gear and
inexpensive software.  No Metadata embedding guideline will ever be
widely endorsed and all will be forever lacking crucial personal
needs.

Its preferable for me to think about "cataloging" in terms
flexibility, work flow and archiving so the problem gets solved for
future users too.  More people are beginning to see the goal as
creating widely supported database protocol where it can be
authoritatively managed:

Page 22, Federal Agencies Audio Visual Digitization Working Group :
"Metadata Preparation:
Embedded metadata will greatly aid in the management of audio files
but is not likely
considered to be the most authoritative metadata record for the
asset.  The authoritative
record will continue to be maintained in various local databases such
as MySQL, Microsoft
Access, and Filemaker, or disseminated via public catalogs or finding
aids.  The databases,
metadata standards and data dictionaries will vary greatly across the
Federal Agencies.  For this
reason the development of a conformance point file representing an
agreed upon set of fields,
structure and rules is recommended.  This file will function as an
intermediate between the
databases of the Federal Agencies and the tool used to embed metadata
into the audio files."

http://tinyurl.com/244efgu [pdf]

Rob D.

  = = =