Re: Cataloging Sounds

Subject: Re: Cataloging Sounds
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Nov 7, 2010 12:33 am ((PDT))
At 2:37 AM +0000 11/7/10, Steve Pelikan wrote:

>Now I keep it as simple as possible.
>
>I log all recordings (and edited versions derived from them as
>separate entities) in a spreadsheet (openoffice). The filename is
>composed of the data and time of the recording. One of the most
>important fields in the spreadsheet is the "keywords" column that
>lets me search of my favorite locations, different species, and for
>recordings that are specifically mentioned in field notes or logs.
>
>From my perspective most of the valuable information associated with
>my recordings is fields notes (observation of behavior, tabulation
>of interactions. etc.) and if I get those coded and typed into a
>document rather than crammed in a drawer, I feel virtuous.
>
>I've often thought of putting data into the audio files themselves
>but, except as experiments, haven't bothered. I wrote java code to
>do this a while ago but now think the BWF metaedit program is more
>than enough if I ever feel the need.
>
>The spreadsheet associates the technical data with the files
>effectively enough for me and, when someone asks me for something, I
>can find the names of the appropriate files quickly.
>
>Finding the DVD or drive that the files are on is another matter entirely!
>
>Cheers...
>
>SP

Hi Steve--

My goal is for the process to be very simple for folks who want to
get some good habits going and enter only required info but
expandable to meet complex needs.

I'm thinking the work flow would be something like this: Copy your
new recordings into a designated directory in your computer. Open
your recording(s) for a particular outing (day?) in Reaper. Whenever
you come to the start of a new recording, create a marker in the
timeline and enter the recording date, start time (can be
approximate) and location (geo coordinates). Recent entries are
available. You can also access a number of other pull-down "markers"
for weather info, species, gear, causal notes, photos, weblinks and
more. Go through your material shot by shot entering as much detail
as you want. When you are finished, export the tab delimited doc from
Reaper and open it open it in your database. The database is used to
create a record page which shows all your original takes, exported
files, photos, notes etc. etc in time sequence. The database is used
for searching and playing through files. Your "archive"  can be
personal or converted and placed on line and related to archives when
you want.

This is similar to what you are doing with a spreadsheet-- just
making all of the stuff you add ready for importing into a database.
The database preserves the link to the Reaper session so if you go
back at a later date to make more "excerpts," add more data, then you
just export and new delimited doc when you are finished and build an
updated record page in your archive.

I assume you have looked at Volume/Disk catalog apps.  The $30 one I
started using on Mac in 2000 still does the job for me.  It can be
set to automatically scan a newly burned disc or new mounted volume.
Probably good idea to make sure the catalog app can export a
delimited doc in case you needed to migrate to another in the future.
Rob D.