Re: Cataloging Sounds

Subject: Re: Cataloging Sounds
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Nov 7, 2010 12:18 pm ((PST))
Hi Greg--

I've migrated to exactly the same thing. It works extremely well. Its
not that far from here to compiling the associations we want into a
database record playable/launch-able links.

Note, however, that we can use Spotlight this way because we know
classes of things we have on our computers and we know places and
terms to search. For someone who does not know these-- it looks like
16TB of folders!! Should we stop using the material for 3-5 years
because of illness or hearing loss, it looks like a 16TB mess to the
universe. A global frame of organization  seems like the next step to
me. These are pioneer days of sound recording and of greater
interest, historically. I have boxes and boxes-- most of which will
end up in a landfill. Had I started out with an archive template,...
I'd have some 16TB drives to hand over to someone to use almost
immediately.

Do you like the idea of being able to add data as you log and make
excerpts the first and subsequent times? How about the potential to
synchronize assets on the time line?

There are many, valuable, tiny, connections and suspicions we
discover as we log. We just need a way to jot them down so they
correlate grandly. I'm imaging the software tools as "journaling" --
bringing in the experiences of the processes we are going through as
part of the records.   Rob D.

  = = = =