Re: Cataloging Sounds

Subject: Re: Cataloging Sounds
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Sat Nov 6, 2010 7:37 pm ((PDT))
Now I keep it as simple as possible.

I log all recordings (and edited versions derived from them as separate ent=
ities) in a spreadsheet (openoffice). The filename is composed of the data =
and time of the recording. One of the most important fields in the spreadsh=
eet is the "keywords" column that lets me search of my favorite locations, =
different species, and for recordings that are specifically mentioned in fi=
eld notes or logs.

>From my perspective most of the valuable information associated with my rec=
ordings is fields notes (observation of behavior, tabulation of interaction=
s. etc.) and if I get those coded and typed into a document  rather than cr=
ammed in a drawer, I feel virtuous.

I've often thought of putting data into the audio files themselves but, exc=
ept as experiments, haven't bothered. I wrote java code to do this a while =
ago but now think the BWF metaedit program is more than enough if I ever fe=
el the need.

The spreadsheet associates the technical data with the files effectively en=
ough for me and, when someone asks me for something, I can find the names o=
f the appropriate files quickly.

Finding the DVD or drive that  the files are on is another matter entirely!

Cheers...

SP