Re: Another neophyte flailing around on this subject...

Subject: Re: Another neophyte flailing around on this subject...
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:43 am ((PDT))
At 4:25 AM -0700 8/13/10, James Shatto wrote:

>Well in theory the upper harmonics do re-enforce
>the lower ones, which are in the capabilities of
>a lot of ears.  So it does make a difference.

Hi James--
Maybe theory is the rub! ;-) With the number of
experienced nature recordists who read this list,
we can work together to move from individual
speculation to group perception and meaningful
changes in practice. One way we do this is
through the use of equipment & technique
comparison testing. With a blind test you can get
enough response to help you understand whether a
phenomenon is significant or not.

Even if we think we sufficiently understand (!?)
the equipment we use, decisions about when and
where to set-up can be huge factor. Therefore, it
might be healthier for discussion to balance
speculation with a healthy amount of field
results.

>As far as mics, the good ones generally cost a
>pretty penny. The cheaps ones aren't bad, but if
>you are hyper critical of the sound, or anyone
>who wants to pay you is, it does matter.  At a
>minimum, the low noise floor and high
>environmental specs don't normally happen with
>the cheap mics.  And many mics were never meant
>to leave a studio environment.  Which futher
>limits the gene pool.

There is a quite a wealth of discussion about the
subjects you raise here in the list archive and I
suspect you'll find some of the discussion
surprising and useful.  Some people find the
archive that is accessible at the following URL
preferable to the yahoo group site:
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/naturerecordists/
Rob D.