Re: Another neophyte flailing around on this subject...

Subject: Re: Another neophyte flailing around on this subject...
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:52 am ((PDT))
A/B of the korg with internal and external preamps would be a little moot g=
iven the signal to noise ratio differences.=C2=A0 30dB, that's a lot.=C2=A0=
 Although probably closer to 2dB with my 28dB noise floor mics (A weighted)=
.=C2=A0 And the Korgs internal preamps are known to have a subdued low end =
(frequency response).=C2=A0 There's a mod and detailed instructions on how =
to do that mod.=C2=A0 But I opted for external preamps instead.

I don't know about proof, but as a brass player for 20+ years.=C2=A0 There'=
s multiphonics stuff where you sing a major tenth above the note you buzz w=
ith your lips on the horn.=C2=A0 And the combination of the two (root + 3rd=
) sounds the 5th (BELOW both of those tones).=C2=A0 It's not as strong as t=
he other tones, but it's definitely there.=C2=A0 If you get a group of like=
 minded brass players together and play sustained chords.=C2=A0 When the gr=
oup actually gets it in tune the upper harmonics start to sound and ring ab=
ove the actual notes being played and the dB level of the group goes up a n=
otch.=C2=A0 Now whether that's fact or just belief, I don't know.=C2=A0 But=
 it's certainly evidence of something.=C2=A0 Could be physics, could be psy=
chology.=C2=A0 I know that in the early midi days, the synths that could so=
und/synth those upper harmonics had the more realistic sounds.=C2=A0 But I =
haven't dwelled in those circles much for a while now.

- James