Re: Another neophyte flailing around on this subject...

Subject: Re: Another neophyte flailing around on this subject...
From: "Marcus Buick" mbuick
Date: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 pm ((PDT))
Hello everyone, my name is Marcus Buick and I am new to this list.  I am an=

audio engineer by day, and a psychoacoustician by night.  I found my way he=
re
through joining the ASA, then Dan Dugan=E2=80=99s website, so, thank you Da=
n!  I collect
transducers and have been an active recordist since 1985.  That being said,=
wanted to address some discussions on this board.

While I have recorded nature soundfields in the past, I would not consider=

myself a nature recordist, yet.  My day job consists of recording talking h=
eads,
music and dialog for various applications (CD, DVD, TV/radio/Web Bcast=E2=
=80=99s,  &
SFX)

The single most important choice when making a great (and accurate) recordi=
ng is
microphone placement.  Nobody I have met is able to discern microphone bran=
difference once more than two or three microphones are mixed.  I do underst=
and
though, when recording roaming Buffalo rutting, mic placement may be of
secondary, or further, concern.

Of course it is imperative that the performance be of acceptable usage.

[Well in theory the upper harmonics do re-enforce the lower ones, which are=
 in
the capabilities of a lot of ears. ~James]

I remember reading (I think it was an AES white paper) about Japanese
researchers who concluded that the pinna (outer ear) was semi-responsible f=
or
detecting ultra-sonics (above 20kHz) that provided localization cues for so=
unds
originating in 3 dimensional environments.

[A dish is fine for zeroing in on a distant source.  But by doing that you'=
ve by
default attenuated more local sounds and to some extent colored the sound b=
efore
it ever hits the microphone.  If you want a recording that sounds exactly l=
ike
the subject, that might not be the way to go.  ~James]

Exactly James.  The problem with dishes is the extreme coloration they give=
both the microphone and the original sound source.  Ultimately one ends up =
using
EQ and dynamics (compression) to try and bring the sound back to what it
originally sounded like.

[Specs are at best a very general guide, easily manipulated by marketing
departments, & reveal nothing about sound quality.  ~Scott]

I am totally with Scott on this one.  While my TLM103=E2=80=99s have a self=
 noise of
7dBA, I would use my cmc6xt-lin=E2=80=99s (self noise 17dBA) 99 times out o=
f 100.  While
I don=E2=80=99t want to discuss details like Alising Intermodulation Distor=
tion of mics
extending to 40kHz, I will say that in extensive tests between my 4006=E2=
=80=99s and
cmc6xt-lin=E2=80=99s w/MK2 capsules I find the Schoeps to be more pleasant =
to listen to
(of ambient capture) for MY ears.

[My hearing's only good to around 13K, how about yours?  ~Dan]

I can hear 16kHz if it is gained up beyond reason.  I=E2=80=99m only effect=
ive to 14kHz,
maybe 15kHz in the right environment.  I am a 41 year old male.

I buy the gear I can afford which record sounds that are lifelike to me.  I=

purchased Schoeps because my Sennheisers weren=E2=80=99t capturing the subt=
lety I
needed.  I spent the money for Grace preamps when my Mackie pre=E2=80=99s w=
ere too
noisy.  This gear makes me money in my profession, but it=E2=80=99s probabl=
y not
practical for the general hobbyist.  Purchase only what makes your ears/bra=
in
happy.

Thank you for the opportunity to contribute to this exceedingly worthwhile=

forum.  I look forward to plenty of lively discussions and recordings.