Re: [Nature Recordists] Another neophyte flailing around on this

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Another neophyte flailing around on this
From: James Shatto <>
subject...

My point is that it doesn't have to be audible.  The resampling routines wi=
ll do
calculations and change their prediction because it is present.  Do most
speakers reproduce those tones, no.  Can most humans hear them no.  But the=
y are
a significant part of the sound.  If you strip them out and are familiar wi=
th
the live and not recorded sound, you are very likely to notice that somethi=
ng is
missing.  Not quite right, and otherwise odd.  Does a mic with a 150Hz to 1=
5kHz
range sound the same as one with 20Hz to 20kHz?

Will we notice on a rock concert where our familiarity is the reproduction =
of
the sound through speakers as recorded through a microphone, probably not. =
 Will
we notice on a small acoustic ensemble, if we are familiar with it, yes.  I=
doesn't have to be in the audible range to have an affect on the audible ra=
nge.
But many of the harmonics are in the audible range.  Granted that you don't=
 want
to leave the ones higher than the specs of average speakers in as their
existence will muddy what anyone who has more average gear will hear.  Beca=
use
that gear will try to reproduce it and fail.  Is it as critical for nature=

recordings, probably not, because most folks are not that familiar with tho=
se
sounds live.  And so many uncontrollable variables that makes every recordi=
ng
unique.

While I don't know my particular range of hearing, I do hear the wine of th=
e TV
and some lights.  That high pitch that preceeds the starting of the A/C uni=
t,
and other everyday sounds.  Not as often or as much as I did as a kid, but =
I do
still hear them.

Trying to bring it back to OT for the OP.  I buy gear based on three or mor=
factors.  Either a) it's a deal I cannot pass on (resale at a profit), or b=
) I
have a curiousity that simply cannot be satisfied any other way, or the mos=
likely one c) I can't find a sample of that gear in use that I do NOT like.=
  If
there aren't any samples then I'm not likely to buy it.  No one has heard o=
f it,
used it, or would want to buy it used, so it'd be a waste of good money.  O=
those that have don't think it's good enough to share.

- James