Re: [Nature Recordists] Another neophyte flailing around on this

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Another neophyte flailing around on this
From: James Shatto <>
subject...

The AEA TRP has really high impedance and according to the propaganda that =
is to
facilitate long cable runs.=A0 Not really field gear as it's A/C powered.=
=A0 And
lacks phantom power since it's The Ribbon Pre.=A0

The Art Tube MPA has variable impedance.=A0 And many say that it helps to d=
ial a
mic in.=A0 With some pretty major differences in the frequency response of =
certain
mics with the various impedance settings.=A0 As demonstrated by a few sampl=
es of
it in use.=A0 Also A/C powered so not a nature biased piece of gear.=A0 And=
 tube
base, so a bit colored in it's output by default.

I tend to keep my recorder at the base of the mic stand so I'm not dealing =
with
long cable runs.=A0 At least not until I get a taller mic stand.=A0 Plus lo=
ng cables
are heavy when you're dealing with stereo pairs or decca tree (4+ mic)
configurations.=A0 I like having a little elevation as it dims the crickets=
 and
other sounds in favor of a big picture sound image.=A0 Plus down low you ge=
t the
curious critters sniffing the mics.=A0 Maybe even attacking, or attempting =
to eat
them.

As far as the benefit to me, I guess it opens up a few mic options that mig=
ht
not do as well with the higher impedance.=A0 It might also extend battery l=
ife.=A0
But I doubt that it would be anything significant.=A0 And maybe not even by=
measurable amount.=A0 It could also open up the potential for interference.=
=A0
Although 2K is still pretty high impedance.=A0

Big picture wise it's not really that important IMO.=A0 But it can affect t=
he
sound of what you record.=A0 Even when the sound and the mics are for all i=
ntents
exactly the same.=A0 But they're still mics, that pick up sounds and the re=
corder
records it.=A0 So we're not talking huge differences.=A0 Although getting t=
he sound
you want or NOT is a pretty huge difference.

- James

=A0 =A0 =A0

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: