????????? Microphones ??????????

Subject: ????????? Microphones ??????????
From: "scratchpaws" scratchpaws
Date: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:36 am ((PDT))
Well, this "record natural wilderness sounds" thing is gettin' like a bad p=
iece of meat: The more you chew it, the bigger it gets.

Thanks to all you kind folks who know what I need to do, I've just about se=
ttled in on the Sony D50 for a wilderness sound recorder. As a starving fic=
tion writer, it's about all I can afford right now.

Alas, the recorder doesn't seem to be the real issue; microphones appear to=
 separate the goats from the sheep in this wilderness of sound.

I'm gonna try the on-board mics to see if they do the job, however, I had a=
nother idea. I used to shoot video depositions for the courts. I have a Shu=
re Microflex MX393/C boundary mic that I used for ambient room sound during=
 those sessions. This mic has a 130 degree pattern. I'm wondering if I can =
use it with the D50. The specs say it requires 48v phantom power, and the D=
50 doesn't have that. I suppose that answers my question, unless I go with =
some kind of battery power pack. And, would it be good for wilderness sound=
s, or do I need an omni-directional cartridge for that?

Now I realize why anyone who goes into the wilderness needs a compass.

Why try to use this mic if I have to power it externally, especially if I n=
eed the omni-directional cartridge---more money that I don't have? Why not =
just get a mic that already has battery power---or will work with the "plug=
 in power" available with the D50?

Simple.  Well, not really, huh?

Stereo, omni-directional, omni-directional boundary, condenser, cardioid: y=
ikes! And the money. My goodness! These things are dreadfully expensive. Wh=
at is a poor X lighting director to do?

Well, the answer is plead for help. So, once again I humble myself to this =
group and its compass: Anyone got recommendations for a "good" external mic=
 in the 200-300 dollar range suitable for recording wilderness sounds using=
 the Sony D50?

Any wisdom here is greatly appreciated.