Re: ????????? Microphones ??????????

Subject: Re: ????????? Microphones ??????????
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:53 am ((PDT))
At 12:36 PM +0000 8/14/10, scratchpaws wrote:

>I'm gonna try the on-board mics to see if they do the job, however,
>I had another idea. I used to shoot video depositions for the
>courts. I have a Shure Microflex MX393/C boundary mic ...I'm
>wondering if I can use it with the D50. The specs say it requires
>48v phantom power, and the D50 doesn't have that. I suppose that
>answers my question, unless I go with some kind of battery power
>pack.

List Community FAQ:
http://tinyurl.com/2bqxh2w

>  And, would it be good for wilderness sounds, or do I need an
>omni-directional cartridge for that?

A cardioid capsule will be more directional and the tonality will be
a little warmer. Many recordists use boundary mics for natural
ambience. Take a look at Curt Olson's work:
http://www.trackseventeen.com/mic_rigs.html

>Now I realize why anyone who goes into the wilderness needs a compass.
>
>Why try to use this mic if I have to power it externally, especially
>if I need the omni-directional cartridge---more money that I don't
>have?

Along these lines the are Shure WL183's at about $90 each (see
http://tinyurl.com/2ctr2lt)  but you can also mount the smaller
electret mics on boundaries: http://tinyurl.com/2bqxh2w

>Why not just get a mic that already has battery power---or will work
>with the "plug in power" available with the D50?

All of the above mics run on PIP.  Mics like the AT4022's  have
~8dB(A) less self noise but run on phantom power.

>So, once again I humble myself to this group and its compass: Anyone
>got recommendations for a "good" external mic in the 200-300 dollar
>range suitable for recording wilderness sounds using the Sony D50?

Some of the small electret mics in the above link are spec'd with 14
dB(A) self-noise. These can be mounted in a variety of ways for
stereo micing. Ironically, these mic capsules are very similar to the
built-in mics in the D50, you're just able to mount them in a larger
stereo array that has improved spatial imaging for sounds at a
distance. Rob D.